Push Hard, Run Fast, Laugh Lots, Have Fun!

My journey this far in bobsleigh and in life

Friday, December 12, 2008

Igls, Post - Race.

Bittersweet.

 Whoever was behind the creation of this word must've been a genius. It's such a perfectly descriptive word for a nearly indescribable feeling.   I've never attempted to write directly after a race. Not even an email.  Usually, it's because I'm too busy but often it's because I'm afraid that I won't be able to find the right words for how I feel. 

Today, I do - Bittersweet.

First the sweet:  Canada topped the podium once again today and it was wonderful! Helen and Heather were able to solidly claim first prize (and yes- another 2 litre stein for beer!).  I got a chance to sing "O Canada" with my teammates as loudly(even though we were QUITE off-key!) as possible and burst with National pride.
  Kaillie and I didn't fare quite as well as as we missed the prize places ending up in 7th place. My other teammates Lisa and Amanda were 13th, so our '3 sleds in the top 10' streak has ended.  It's strange how perspective changes from one season to the next and one year what is wonderful is the cause of your tears the next year.  
I remember the first year I did track and field in college and I didn't make the big 12 conference team for the indoor season.  I was very sad, but determined to make the team for the outdoor season.  And I did.  The very next indoor season I narrowly missed winning Big 12 championships in the 60m sprint and I was favoured to be an All-American. It would've been laughable to me to not make the Big 12 team.  Not making All-American status (because it was what I was expecting) was disappointing.  What a difference a year makes, eh?

 I guess that was the bitter part.

But it shouldn't be.  7th in the world is nothing to sneeze at.  Ok, it's not the same thing as in a sport like say, track and field or swimming, but still. There aren't too many people in the world able to make that claim... about anything or any sport. I'm grateful for the opportunity to compete, I'm grateful for the things my body enables me to do and the joy that it gives me.  I'm grateful that I get to travel around the world and see things I would probably not ever see if I wasn't bobsledding. I'm grateful for the people that I get to meet and the chance to do something that people rarely get to do.  That supercedes any disappointment in my finish, and it is enough for me today. 
Tomorrow is another story....





No comments: